Friday, March 30, 2007

Pileated Woodpecker; ice out on the river

I've been somewhat camera-lazy lately, so I thought I'd better get outside and "record" the changing of the seasons. Monday morning, I could see that the river had risen, but the ice was still floating, in large chunks. But I had to leave for a few hours. When I got back, the ice was gone! That is not only fast, but really early. The state had record breaking temperatures, as much as 10 degrees above the previous record.

But the camera was out and I did record a few interesting sights; whether they are good photos is another question.

I could clearly hear the loud call of the Pileated Woodpecker. They are shy birds, but not hard to spot, since their length is about 16 - 19 inches. Their call reminds me of the wild sounds in the background of an old Tarzan movie.

The purple finches are back from their winter travels. The pine grosbeaks are just leaving for the north. And there have been ducks on the river.

1 comment:

Sew leave a comment!